Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Girl Effect

I really wish more people knew and/or cared about this problem. I learned in reading Nicholas Kristof's book, Half the Sky, that maternal mortality and young girls being kidnapped and sold into the sex trade are the biggest problems women in the developing world face. And the developing world is a lot larger than the developed world. I know it's easy for people to turn their heads and ignore the problems that exist outside their own backyard, but I urge you to take a moment to think - what if it were you who was born into an Ethiopian village as a baby girl?

The Girl Effect, a wonderful organization I learned about this week while watching the speakers at the UN's Social Good Summit, simplifies the message in this compelling video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e8xgF0JtVg&feature=youtu.be

When I was 12 years old, my biggest concern was my braces and a math test. What was yours? We're extremely privileged to have been born into this world. Let's do something for those who were not so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment